What state is Chennai India in?
- Chennai ( /ˈtʃɛnnaɪ/ (listen); also known as Madras /məˈdrɑːs/ (listen) or /-ˈdræs/, the official name until 1996) is the capital of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. Located on the Coromandel Coast off the Bay of Bengal, it is the biggest cultural, economic and educational centre of south India.
Chennai or Madras, as it was called before is the capital of Tamil Nadu and is situated on the Coromandel Coast of Bay of Bengal. Chennai is the fourth most populous metropolitan area in India. The population of Chennai is 7,088,000 as per the 2011 census.District:
- 1 In which part of India is Chennai located?
- 2 Where is Chennai located in the map?
- 3 Is Chennai a good city?
- 4 What is the old name of Chennai?
- 5 What is Chennai famous for?
- 6 What is Chennai city limit?
- 7 Is Chennai a developed city?
- 8 What does Chennai mean?
- 9 Is Chennai an expensive city?
- 10 Is Chennai safe for female?
- 11 Is Chennai cheaper than Bangalore?
- 12 Who is the richest man in Chennai?
- 13 What is the nickname of Chennai?
- 14 Why is Tamil called Aravam?
In which part of India is Chennai located?
Chennai, formerly Madras, city, capital of Tamil Nadu state, southern India, on the Coromandel Coast of the Bay of Bengal. Known as the “Gateway to South India,” Chennai is a major administrative and cultural centre. Pop. (2001) city, 4,343,645; urban agglom., 6,560,242.
Where is Chennai located in the map?
The city is located in north east of Tamil Nadu on the Adyar Estuary and the Coromandel Coast of the Bay of Bengal. Chennai is the largest cultural, economic and educational center in Southern India.
Is Chennai a good city?
Also ranked as the safest city in India, Chennai stands out for its hospitality and is among the top cities in the world. Compared to other big metropolitan cities, Chennai has a comparatively affordable cost of living.
What is the old name of Chennai?
Chennai, originally known as Madras Patnam, was located in the province of Tondaimandalam, an area lying between Pennar river of Nellore and the Pennar river of Cuddalore.
What is Chennai famous for?
Chennai is nicknamed “The Detroit of India“, with more than one-third of India’s automobile industry being based in the city. Home to the Tamil film industry, Chennai is also known as a major film production centre. Chennai is one of the 100 Indian cities to be developed as a smart city under the Smart Cities Mission.
What is Chennai city limit?
km. As many as nine municipalities, eight town panchayats and twenty five village panchayats have been brought under the Chennai Corporation limits, raising the city population from 46.81 lakh to 62.2 lakh (as per 2011 Census).
Is Chennai a developed city?
Chennai is another fast growing city in India with total GDP of 66 Billion USD or 382800 Crore Rs. Chennai is ranked 93rd among most developed city according to GDP in world.
What does Chennai mean?
Name. Various etymologies have been posited for the name, Chennai or Chennapattanam. A popular explanation is that the name comes from the name of Damarla Chennappa Nayakudu, Nayaka of Chandragiri and Vandavasi, father of Damarla Venkatadri Nayakudu, from whom the English acquired the town in 1639.
Is Chennai an expensive city?
Is Chennai an expensive city? Chennai is not an expensive city. You get everything here in all possible price ranges.
Is Chennai safe for female?
The police on Wednesday said Chennai was a safe city, especially for women and children, going by the 2017 National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) data. Chennai was ranked 7th among 19 cities in terms of total number of Indian Penal Code (IPC) crimes.
Is Chennai cheaper than Bangalore?
As per the 24th annual Mercer’s cost of living survey, Chennai is the 144th expensive city for expats to live in (out of 209 surveyed worldwide) – 26 spots higher than Bengaluru in 170 – and the third most expensive Indian city behind Mumbai (55) and New Delhi (103).
Who is the richest man in Chennai?
Top 4 Richest Persons In Chennai
- Kalanithi Maran. Kalanithi Maran is no-doubt one of the richest people in Chennai.
- Arun Pudur. Arun Pudur is another very successful man who is from Chennai.
- Mallika Srinivasan. Very often, when the richest people in a place are being discussed, we often find only men.
- Amm Vellayan.
What is the nickname of Chennai?
|Chennai (Madras; Madarasapattinam)||City of flyovers Banking capital of India Detroit of Asia Gateway of South India Healthcare Capital of India Cultural Capital of South India IT hub of Tamil Nadu Automobile hub of Asia birthplace of South film industry|
|Erode||Turmeric city Textile city|
Why is Tamil called Aravam?
The word “Aravam” in Telugu literally translates to ”shout” or “shouting”. In ancient times, the Telugus who lived close to Tamils felt their language was louder and sounded more commanding than their own, hence called it Aravam.